Tuesday 3 June 2008

Building a Legend.

It was announced a couple weeks back on my clubs community website which can be found here (www.fantasywargames.com) that we would be hosting a build a legend tournament good old golden age style.

This has definatly got my cogs working and i have come up with a few ideas for decks and a few surprises in store for my opponents.

First off I should let you know that I actually haven't brought any of the new sets since X-men because i unfortunately haven't been able to get hold of any. Which sucks, but what can you do? This is true of most of the guys at the club as well and is why most of our tournaments are Golden age. This hopefully won't last as hopefully we will see more of us heading to sanctioned tournaments in the future with the great Kamiza!

Well back to those cogs.
It would seem that with all the goings on of the moment (I'm currently studying and am mid-way through my finals (A-Levels) I am still managing to concoct deck idea's which although are ridiculous to pull off could win me games in flamboyant style much to the dismay of my opponent and thats why I love the game. Sometimes it can be so unpredictable.

My first deck is based on a deck one of my friends had made but with some minor tweaks to see the enemy cry. Here it is:

Characters
4 Ratcatcher, Ottis Flannegan
4 Zazzala ~ Queen Bee, Mistress of the Hive
4 IQ, Ira Quimby
4 Zazzala <> Queen Bee, Royal Genetrix
20 Insectoid Soldiers

Plot Twists and Locations
4 Total Anarchy
4 Last Laugh
4 ESU Science Lab
4 Criminal Mastermind
4 Infestation
4 Royal Egg Matrix
2 Secret Files
4 Surprise Attack

Ok this deck is going to be a turn 5 win deck hopefully.
Im going to mulligan hard for Ratcatcher since he is my win condition in this deck.

Were looking at getting at least 10 characters including Ratcatcher and 3 drop Zazz in play.
Turn 5 i will attack and take down as many characters as possible. then when i can't i will suicide them into a large character causing them all to be stunned bar Zazzalla and Ratcatcher.

I will then flip 4 last laughs and as many surprise attacks as possible (if i haven't played them already) thats 32 damage from the Last laugh.

40 with the characters being stunned due to Ratcatchers ability.

Then im going to flip Total Anarchy which will KO all my characters triggering Zazz's ability which will mean you burn for another 2 for each character. thats another 16

56 so far.

On top of all the burn the opponent has accumulated from IQ. till turn 5 that would be 8 if i haven't got a criminal mastermind in play

thats 64.

I made that deck at about 3 in the morning and my god it just seems so fun to play. I've played it 3 times and it has won all 3 games so I at least have something to fall back upon if i need to.

The second of the decks my simple mind concocted was that of a deck that just was so so so overplayed in tourny's that anyone who uttered it's name was thwarted much like an ant under the proverbial green thumbed gardner. Curve Sentinels.

I must admit this has probably been played before but this is my version that i have come up with. It is purely coincidental if it is the same as anyone elses.

Sentinels:
Characters
Boliver Trask x4
Sentinel Mark III x1
Sentinel Mark II x5
Sentinel Mark V x12
Nimrod x4
Bastion x4
Magneto x4

Plot Twists
Wave of Sentinels x4
Micro Sentinels x4
Reconstruction Program x4
Savage Beatdown x4
Cover Fire x4
Avalon Space Station x2

Locations
Genosha x4

Just pure beats with this deck using Magneto for Avalon and Genosha. Should be interesting to say the least.

These are the two decks i am thinking about running but i am torn between them.
If anyone has any advice that would be really appreciated.
This is Chris McPhee signing off until tomorrow.

No comments: